Zuster Johanna Sophia Dobler has accepted a call to serve as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 18 months in the Belgium Netherlands Mission. She is excited to share goodness, the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
The Things I learn, see, and hear...and eat:)
Do you ever see the same middle-aged men sitting at the same bus stop everyday listening to Jessie-J's "Domino" from mini speakers and drinking a bottle of Coke? If you do, then we're probably in the same place...I just try to imagine Dad doing that and I start laughing because it's just a little too far-fetched:) Thanks Dad, for not listening to music at a random bus stop and not doing anything in particular.
This week a Belgian lady, who's so obsessed with African culture, that she married a guy from the Congo, made us FuFu, which is as African as you can get (I think...) what with eating with your hands and all, it's quite the experience; to think once upon a time, we all used to eat with our hands. Crazy, right?
Got to go on exchanges with my favorite Zuster Hanny in Lokeren this weeks as well, so fun to see her again and weird to think that it was 6 months ago that we were together! And now we're both down here in Belgie:)
Conference, from what I've seen of it, (blasted time zones) was amazing and I am more and more grateful for a living day prophet each time we have it! I've been reading in Jesus the Christ and have been learning about the apostles of old and as I watch Conference, I try to imagine Holland, Uchtdorf, Christofferson, etc. as Paul (Holland's definitely a modern-day Paul:), James, Peter, and so forth. It's a blessing to be able to share Conference with investigators and members alike, testifying of and sharing the message that we have apostles and prophets today, to tell us exactly what we need to hear, exactly when we need it.
One thing stuck out to me from Elder Rendlund's talk, was his quote by Elder Holland: "We can either have what we want or we can have something better." There is more in store for us than we can imagine and more available to us with Christ that we could ever give ourselves. A popular idea here is that you believe in yourself and yourself alone; while it's good to be confident, we must always remember where that self-confidence should stem from: we can believe in ourselves because Heavenly Father believes in us, but that doesn't mean that we can do it on our own. God is good:)
Well, I'll save more for another time, hmmmm, maybe next Monday? Same time, same place.
Liefs, Zuster Dobler
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your interest in Zuster Dobler's misisonary experience. In order to keep this site protected, I would like to verify those who comments. I appreciate your understanding.
Martha Dobler, Johanna's mom