Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Baked Goods Convert

A surpise package from across the border, Danke Oma!
Loyal readers, I've decided to up my artistic approach to my weekly emails and have composed a poem to better describe the work here in the ever-so-classy Belgium/Netherlands mission.  (Actually, we're having a district poetry competition and I thought mine was top-notch, so I shall share it with the world!)  

In any case, here goes: I call it, "The Pardonable Sin #YOMO"  (You only mission once, do not judge me)

"The Pardonable Sin #YOMO"

They say it is a clever thing
A trait that of a noble king
the likes of which were helemal niet toegestaan
Maar (but), here in the field, ethics all a'jumbled, gone.
In my previous life, here and there, some dabbling was done.
But now I am encouraged, even prompted, you could say
to stop at certain houses, streets, and buurts as I go my way.

I'll look up a person once or thrice in a day,
But I'm trying to help them, so it's okay.

I know random, personal things-schedule, breaks and times
And I'll stop on over "toevallig-ly"
You could hardly call it a crime.

Our task is unlike what it may seem
It might even borderline
good intentioned "stalking"

"Wij waren in de buurt", we'll say
Though the ride took over half our day.
We call and text and stop on by

It gets a little awkward when you don't open the door...
We see you in the window...
This is a whole new level of "creeper" that we most definitely can afford.

You pretend that you're not home
We know that that's a lie,
But it's okay, maybe you just need some time.

So we'll keep on coming, with cookies in hand
Until you give us a hint, a sign, something!
That perhaps this escapade has soured or worse, turned quite bland.

We love you still anyway
We hope you love us too!
Is there anything we could say or do
To help you know that it's all true?

All in all, it's for YOUR best,
We're gonna be loving, awkward, and won't give it a rest
But it's all good, no worries, you know,
'Cause it's like, whatever, hashtag YOMO.

A shot of 50% Ginger/50% Apple for Elder L, he basically died

Anyway, that's at least my take on things:)  Throughout my life, and my mission most definitely, I have learned to just let awkward things just sort of wash over me... Speaking of awkward moments, guess who got hit by a car this week?Well, a car door, ten minste (at least).

No harm done, except for a bruised chest that is getting less and less painful to breathe and a crazy car door outline bruise from my right shoulder going about half way down my arm...update, it's yellow now, no more red or blue! Anyway, I felt like Frodo for a few days, with my shoulder being injured and what not.


Agog and Aghast - Bread Vending Machines in Belgium!

What a great idea!  Why didn't we think of that??
Moving on, I have come to the strong conclusion that baked goods convert.  Specifically cinnamon rolls this week. Seriously!  We went by this investigator who was kind of watering down and super hard to get in contact with, as it were, but we told him about cinnamon rolls and he was like "you have to come over this week and bring them!"  So, we brought them by, and had a great lesson and he opened up about how he really misses church and wants to start coming back.  Thank you cinnamon rolls for your sneaky ulterior motives:)
 Chocomelk is cheaper if you buy it in bulk
#ileftmyheartatcostco
We were also doing some bell-ups the other day and this lady answered, but she couldn't make any decisions at that moment because she was on the toilet...why you would answer the phone while you were on the pot or tell someone why you can't let them in, I'll never know.

Speaking of toilets, we went to the grocery store to buy ingredients for cinnamon rolls and our cashier was not having it. She needed to go to the bathroom oh so badly, but apparently wasn't allowed to or something (she was bouncing up and down and everything)...she was probably having the worst day anyone could have.

It's also funny when you meet super snarky older people; you just don't expect all the sass to be coming out. We were doing more bell-ups and this old lady who lives there was walking in and she was like "Niemand zal je binnen laten" (No one will let you in), and we were like, "Ben je zeker" (Are you sure?) and she just gave us the sassiest of looks.  #faceslap  #buurvrouwknowsbest 

Oh, the elderly, how I yearn to be like you, able to say/do whatever you want and it's allowed because people disregard it because you're "old".  You live the life I strive to live:) Kudos to you, or maybe in this case, grape nuts to you.

Sunday, we had an amazing streak of new appointments being set up for this week with 3 people that we met op straat, bij he station, and langs de deur (on the street, at the station and next station).
Delicious Indonesion Food

Transfers are this coming week! Zuster Manning is heading toward Leeuwarden and Zuster Twiggs is coming to the ever so lovely Maastricht where I shall dwell for another spell:)

Well, this week has been fabulous, as you can see:)

1 Timothy 1:11-12, 14-15
"According to the gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
And I thank Christ, Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abudant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

I am so grateful for e'erthing. My family, this opportunity I have to be a representative of Jesus Christ and to meet so many amazing people here in the beautiful province of Limburg.  
Have an amazing week!
liefs, Zuster Dobler

P.S. I realized that 2 of our investigators have Harry Potter names - Cederic and Dudley.  I am now on the look out for a certain Dumbledore or Severus.


Dudley made us a potato man!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in Zuster Dobler's misisonary experience. In order to keep this site protected, I would like to verify those who comments. I appreciate your understanding.

Martha Dobler, Johanna's mom