Wednesday, December 3, 2014

It was the best of times, it was the "leukest" of times!

Okay, I'm pretty sure I've already uitleggen (to explain) what "leuk" means, but I'll reiterate - leuk basically means awesome, but then it doesn't, it also means cool, but it's more than cool, so yeah; it's definitely the best Dutch word ever:)  Some new "woordeschat" (vocabulary) that I've learned this week: dodenlijst-hit list, woordenschat-vocabulary (it basically translates into word treasure box), and baarmoeder-womb. Needless to say, two of those words were found during my independent study time, but believe it or not, I've used both dodenlijst and baarmoeder this week alone:)  Yay for Dutch application (toepassen). 

So, let me begin to try and describe the events of "de volgende week".  First, Thanksgiving was so great!  I can't imagine a better place to spend Thanksgiving (except with mijn familie, but moving on...:) We had a morning devotional and Elder Bednar came and spoke to us, or rather he answered our questions.  Because it was a worldwide MTC broadcast he had us ask questions by texting them (with the 100+ phones he passed out-and then took back) and they popped up on his iPad. So cool 2014:)  Anyway, it was a great thing to not only listen to, but to actually witness and see how inspiration comes to him; he didn't know the questions beforehand, but he was able to give answers that would qualify for General Conference (Algemene Conference). So that was great. 

Zuster Dobler's Hand Turkey


Next we had our Thanksgiving lunch and it wasn't too shabby-I met a Croation Elder and had to explain what the yams were; I basically told him, "just eat them, they're fabulous". We met a sister that works at BYU/MTC as an EMT (wow, lots of acronyms) and she's just back from her mission in Berlin, so I asked her if she knew *Michael and Kerstin (because obviously she should know who they are), but she didn't, so oh well:) 

Well, after lunch we had a little time to write letters of gratitude, study whatever and then we had a Thanksgiving program with different musical numbers and a full-blown costume performance acting out the First Thanksgiving-it was only a tad racist and I'm pretty sure the international missionaries think the Americans are gek (crazy).  After that, we had a sack dinner because the cafeteria was getting ready for our service project; we ate in our classrooms and pooled together all the food that we had so we ate sandwiches, Christmas Oreos, Cincinnati Chili (whatever that is; Zuster Hopkin is from Ohio and insists it's the best), popcorn, and different desserts that have been sent to us. 
Thanksgiving "Potluck"
Then we did this awesome service project where we prepared these casserole meals for kids to take home to their families:)  It was awesome to help out and it's even more amazing how many things we can get done when 1,000+ missionaries are all working together:)  For our special movie treat, we watched "Meet the Mormons" and the piece de resistance was when they finally turned on all the Christmas lights in the "quad" right in the middle of the campus!  I was so very happy:)  So that was Thanksgiving.

Zuster Castro, Zuster Dobler's MTC companion
On Sunday, Sheri Dew came and spoke in Relief Society (Mom, she even mentioned the speech she gave at the Claremont Colleges and I had to think of you).  During Music and the Spoken Word, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang a song from "The Messiah" and it felt just like Sunday at home with Dad and his ultimate "Messiah" collection.  For our Sunday devotional, Vocal Point came and performed which was also a surprise:)  They sang, "Where can I turn for peace?"  and right now it's one of my favorites:) Especially during this Christmas season, there are so many ways that we can turn to Jesus Christ for peace:)

Okay, a little back story, German in Dutch is "Duits" (sounds like doubts), so my teacher was saying that "Duits is de taal van de duivel (German is the language of the devil) and Nederlands is de taal van de engelen. 

Oh, Mom!  Everyone loved the Rocher Turkeys-some more than others (ie: Elder Jones) so thanks for those!  I had told some of them about them and they didn't understand so it was awesome to have a real live example. 

Elder Jones expressively celebrating with the feathers from the Rocher Turkeys
(Ferrero Rocher chocolates with feathers and googly eyes
)
I got my flight plans last woensdag (Wednesday) and I'm leaving maandag (Monday) first to Seattle, and then to Amsterdam!! Our Branch President and his wife came in on Sunday and talked to us about how our first impression with President Robinson (Mission President) is really important, so they acted it out with one of our elders.  I think I've decided what I'll do to make a lasting impression, actually I have two ideas and it would be so much easier if I could show you, but you'll just have to use your imaginations and what knowledge you have of me to understand (begrijpen) it: first option, I could walk/prance up to him and his wife, making a swooping turn whilst throwing glitter in the air and saying, "President Robinson, how nice to meet you", or a sister in my district and I will write a musical about our mission, based off of parodies from other musicals:)  So we'll see, if anything, I'll just be normal, don't worry Dad:)

Oh, I'm convinced that life would be so much better if everyone had a Segway; can you imagine how cool missionaries would be on segways rather than bikes?  Missionaries 2.0, the Dippin' Dots version of missionaries!  Anyway, that's my rant about that. 

I saw Hermana James a few times before she left yesterday and I loved her more each time I saw her. 
Longtime friend, Hermana James, serving in Idaho Falls Temple/Spanish mission
I've also seen Jessica Bills and Mariana Salas and I'm excited to find Isaac today!  On Monday I watched a Mormon Message on the Mormon Channel called "The Hope of God's Light" and I really enjoyed it - what a great reminder that prayers are not always answered when we think we need them, but when the Lord knows we need them.  I also love the "He is the Gift" Christmas message that the Church put out-that's so amazing and our devotional last night was "Discover the Gift, Embrace the Gift, Share the Gift". 

Jesus Christ was and is the ultimate gift.  If you know me at all, you know that I love Christmas, Weihnachten and kerstvest; It's the one time of year when, whether they know it or not, people everywhere are striving to be a little more patient, a little kinder, a little happier, a little more Christ-like.  He is the most amazing and glorious being and he loves each one of us. 


This Christmas I'm so grateful, to not only be in the Netherlands(!!) but also to have the opportunity to represent Christ and bring people closer to Him, even if it's just helping them understand that He loves them-if I can do that, then I think I'll be happy:)  What better time to start a mission that the time of year where everyone around the world is focusing on the Savior and the Christmas Spirit (aka the Holy Ghost) is influencing them everyday?  I'm so grateful for this time of year to give, and for my personal opportunity to give myself to the Savior this year and dedicate my life to serving Him. 

Christmas lights are amazing and so are Christmas songs!  This is my last MTC email for the rest of my life!! AH!  So, I'll talk to jullie (ya'll) later in...I don't know, I'm just spitballing, maybe Amsterdam???:)  Have an amazing start to the  Christmas season and know that our Savior, Jesus Christ loves you!  And I do too!

Morgen Kinder wirds was geben!! 

Zuster Dobler

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in Zuster Dobler's misisonary experience. In order to keep this site protected, I would like to verify those who comments. I appreciate your understanding.

Martha Dobler, Johanna's mom