Monday, February 16, 2015

The "Vossler Effect"

Happy Valentine's Day on Saturday!!  It's not a super big deal here in Nederland, but Zuster Voss and I still darned our bestest pink and red!:)

So, this past week, I only knocked over like 5 bikes in a row trying to put mine away (is it really my fault that people line them up so?) and only one guy saw my clumsiness and I got away with only 2 "ugo" bruises on my leg.

For district meeting this week, we made Valentines for the elders in our district (we're the only sisters).  On the front, we had some awesome dictator Valentine "memes" (shout out to Ally Voss) and on the back we had only slightly awkward Bible verses about love and marriage:)


Dictator Valentines with "slightly awkward Bible verses"

*Prov. 24:26 Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer.

* Prov. 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

*Ecclesiastes 3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.

*Hebrew 13:11  Let brotherly love continue (the ultimate friendzone scripture)

*1 Corinthians 7:9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn.

The elders were quite pleased (and I must say, so were we - "Oh the cleverness of US!") and taken aback.  It's only awkward if you make it so, elders:)

So, on Wednesday, we were knocking some doors, like we do, and this lady answered and was like, "knocking on doors is your biggest mistake-God doesn't exist...yadayadayada.." and we had to catch a bus, so Zuster Voss was like "Well, in any case, have a great day" and the lady shot back, "Don't tell me to have a great day!  I've never had a great day, why would you wish me a great day????  Uh...So that was something interesting.

On Friday the 13th, we're pretty certain we saw the Grim, Sirius black as an Animagus, or at the very least, a gigantic black dog, Probably the latter seeing as we didn't keel over on our bikes later that day, but pending doom expected.
(Z. Voss and Z. Dobler are both Harry Potter fans)


On Saturday, we went on the "other sides of the tracks" literally, and discovered the most idyllic European neighborhood-it's called "Vredeveld"..which literally means "peace field".
  



There were casual geese swimming and sunbathing in the middle of a pond and we were just walking and minding our own business, when we discovered a miniature Shetland jewel.  We named him Norbert and he was oh so cute and friendly:)
Darling Norbert, the local Shetland pony
I was also thrust into the pits of despair on Saturday; I glanced into the eyes of doom and was prepared to succumb to that great power which would lead me down to misery and endless woe; a member gave us buttermilk to drink and, being unaware, I drank it.

Good gracious heavens and for all the love of Elizas in the world, it was dreadful. Just pure rancid.  I only felt sick for several hours following my encounter with the adversary and now I know that "karnemelk" is not what I want to drink. ever. Buttermilk should only be used to bathe and clean Wilbur before the County Fair....


This Sunday was the Primary Program and leave it to children to be the best missionaries ever:)  Several of our investigators came to see their children perform and their children teaching and testifying what they know is more powerful than 10 missionary lessons!  We have big plans and hopes and dreams and all that jazz for this week as we see how the Spirit is touching each and every one in their own personal way.

That is what I find so special about this Gospel; it is a personal Gospel, centered around the message that God is a loving, caring Heavenly Father that knows us each perfectly personally.  He established the Plan of Salvation with billions and billions of sub-plans, one for each of us.  The Plan of Salvation is applicable to all of us, but we all take a different route to fulfill our purpose in the Plan.  With all the differences in personality, culture, economy, and society, there is one thing that brings us all together: the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We all need that guidance, that love, and understanding of purpose some way or another and because the Gospel is perfect, it is perfect for each and every one of us.  In  Alma 36:27, Alma the Younger testifies of the mercy of the Atonement and our Father in Heaven: "And I have been supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions; yea, God has delivered me from prison, and from bonds, and from death; yea, and I do put my trust in him, and he will still deliver me."

The Atonement is not just for sins, but for all the "trials and troubles in our lives" as well; each and every time, God will "still deliver us" because His love is perfect and therefore everlasting. I am oh so excited for this week and I hope all of you are too!

We have the ability to choose how happy we want to be each day, as the renowned GERMAN:) poet and scholar, Johann Wolfang von Goethe said, "I am the decisive element."  


We choose how much we want the Atonement to take part in our lives, it's unending and always available, and we choose how we want to feel each day.  Live happily:)

Bunches of love, Zuster Dobler

"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness.  O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it." (Mosiah 2:41)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in Zuster Dobler's misisonary experience. In order to keep this site protected, I would like to verify those who comments. I appreciate your understanding.

Martha Dobler, Johanna's mom